Want to know what’s about to blow up in the world of wellness come 2019? Well, the American College of Sports Medicine has conducted its annual survey of health and fitness pros to find out. These are the people that saw HIIT becoming the next hottest workout and predicted that spin was well on the way out.
And next year? Wearables are still in serious demand with fitness trackers, smart watches and heart rate monitors topping the list of fitness trends. Group training and high intensity interval training are also proving their longevity, coming in spot number two and three respectively. Worksite health promotion and workplace well-being is a new addition to the top 20 with a push for employers to offer programs and services to improve the wellness of workers.
So what should you be bidding adieu to? The trends that dropped out of the favour included circuit weight training, sport-specific training, and core training.
Here are the rest of the fitness trends to get a head start on:
1. Wearable Technology
2. Group Training
3. High-Intensity Interval Training
4. Fitness Programs for Older Adults
5. Bodyweight Training
7. Employing Certified Fitness Professionals
8. Personal Training
9. Functional Fitness Training
10. Exercise is Medicine
11. Health/Wellness Coaching
12. Exercise for Weight Loss
13. Mobile Exercise Apps
14. Mobility/Myofascial Devices
15. Worksite Health Promotion and Workplace Well-being Programs
16. Outcome Measurements
17. Outdoor Activities
18. Licensure for Fitness Professional
19. Small Group Personal Training
20. Postrehabilitation Classes