First, the good news: boot camps and personal training can operate as usual. However, the PM explained they’ll have to be capped at “a maximum of 10 people.”
“And the social distancing arrangements must be strictly enforced,” he said. Meaning there must be at least 1.5 metres between each person at all times.
These changes will come into effect from midnight on Wednesday (25th March), with the aim to limit gatherings of large people who have the potential to transmit the virus.
Below is a breakdown of the Federal Government’s shutdown measure on businesses to-date.
Banned or closed
- Registered and licensed clubs, licensed premises in hotels and pubs, casinos and night clubs.
- Cinemas and entertainment venues
- Auctions and open house inspections.
- Personal services such as beauty therapy, tanning, massage and tattoo parlours (but not physiotherapy).
- Outdoor and indoor markets, although “major food markets” (the prime minister cited Sydney’s Flemington market as an example) will be addressed by states and territories.
- Amusement parks and arcades, and indoor and outdoor play centres.
- Galleries, museums, libraries and swimming pools.
- Gyms and indoor sport venues.
- Overseas travel, with some exceptions such as aid workers and compassionate travel.
- Hairdressers and barbers can continue but must strictly manage social distancing and restrict the amount of time a patron can be in the premises to no more than 30 minutes.
- Boot camps and personal training must be limited to 10 people.
- Restaurants and cafes can offer delivery and takeaway only. Food courts in shopping centres may also only offer takeaway.
- Weddings restricted to five people – the couple, the celebrant and two witnesses.
- Funerals limited to no more than 10 people.
- Visits to houses should be kept to a very small number of people, including for family barbecues and birthday parties. States may choose to legislate to restrict house parties.
- Shopping centres and other shops not specifically told to close, including bottle shops.
- Medical centres.
Updates as we have ‘em.