100g raw cacao
240ml warm water
2tbs vanilla extract
275g ground almonds
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
200g coconut sugar
250g coconut oil, melted
1 tbs lucuma
1 fresh vanilla pod
Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease 2 x 23cm springform tins.
2. Sift the cacao and lucuma into a bowl and whisk in the water to make a paste. Whisk in vanilla and set aside.
3. In another bowl, combine the almonds, baking soda and salt.
4. In a third bowl, beat the sugar, oil and eggs for 3 mins or until thick.
5. Pour in the cacao mixture, continuing to beat. Slowly tip in the almond mixture.
6. Split the batter between the tins, bake for 30–35 mins.
7. For the icing, soak the cashews in water for 2 hours.
8. Drain the cashews and add the lucuma, blending until smooth. Pour into a bowl, stir in the vanilla seeds.
9. Once cool, ice one cake, place the other on top and ice that, too. Prepare to drool. Can be served topped with berries.
Natasha Corrett is the co-author of the Honestly Healthy cookbook series.