It goes without saying that Apple Fitness+ has been a salve for lockdown-induced boredom and kept many of us active. But as if hearing our cries, the company has announced big changes to the app, which will now be available in 15 new countries and in six more languages. Included in the changes to the app are guided meditations that focus on kindness and gratitude, with an immersive feel that is facilitated thanks to both a video and audio experience like no other. Pilates will be added to the lineup of workouts, with exercises to suit all levels - from beginners to the professionals. And, should there be any winter sport enthusiasts in the house, Fitness+ will even offer a new workout program to help get you ready for the winter season and avoid injury that results from lack of conditioning in the off-season.
Our favourite addition though? Group workouts. If there’s one thing we won’t be taking for granted when lockdown ends, it’s the sweaty embrace that comes with finishing a gruelling workout alongside your mates. A little friendly competition never hurt anybody, and when it comes to really kicking yourself into high gear, you can always count on your workout partners to get you over the line. Thankfully, Apple Fitness+ will allow for new group fitness classes on the platform thanks to SharePlay. You’ll be able to see when your friends are working out and work out along with them on your iPhone, iPad, and AirPlay. Incredibly, you can work out with at least 30 people at once.
Group Workouts will start through an iMessage or FaceTime call and on your screen, you’ll be able to see both the instructor and the people with whom you’re sharing the workout. Of course, you’ll also be able to see your metrics and rings, as well as how your friends are doing on the “burn bar” - a competition feature which also lets you see when they close their rings. Sign us up!
Group Workouts and support for new countries are set to come later this year which is understandable as Apple announced that SharePlay won’t be launching with iOS 15. To tie us over until then though, the other features will be coming out later this month and we can’t wait. To find out more, visit the official Apple Fitness+ website here.
Pricing and Availability
- Fitness+ is currently available in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK, and the US. It will be available later this year in Austria, Brazil, Colombia, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Switzerland, and the UAE.
- Three months of Apple Fitness+ are included for customers who purchase Apple Watch Series 3 or later, and one month of Fitness+ is included for existing Apple Watch users. 1
- Fitness+ is available as a subscription service for $9.99 (US) per month or $79.99 (US) per year.
- Fitness+ can be shared among up to six family members for the same price, making it easy for other Apple Watch users in the household to enjoy the service.
- Fitness+ is included in the Apple One Premier plan, which, where available, also gives customers access to Apple Music, Apple TV+℠, Apple Arcade®, Apple News+®, and 2TB of iCloud® storage for $29.95 (US) per month, and can be shared among up to six family members.
- Fitness+ requires an Apple Watch Series 3 or later with watchOS 7.2, and is available when paired with iPhone 6s or later with iOS 14.3.
- To get the newest features, use Fitness+ with Apple Watch Series 3 or later; with watchOS 8 paired with iPhone 6s or later with iOS 15; iPad with iPadOS® 15; or Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD with tvOS® 15.