1."I knew he wanted children. I didn’t. So I saved him."
2. "I was about to break up with him and he knew it. He was manipulative AF and it was a toxic on and off relationship for multiple years. When I started telling him, he interrupted me with, 'But I got a ring!' My head snapped faster than the speed of sound I’m pretty sure... I still broke up with him because I knew it was just another manipulation tactic."
3. "He proposed sooner than we were both ready because my depression was bad, and he wanted to give me something I could be happy about. We talked about it and ended up getting engaged several months later when we were actually ready and in a better place."
4. "We were too young and neither of us was independent of our parents yet. I didn't give a hard no, I just gave a, 'not yet'."
5. "I told him I was breaking up with him because he hadn't proposed to me. He turned around and proposed."
6. "He proposed the week he graduated. I hadn't graduated yet. We hadn't even decided on where or if we would live together once I did. It seemed more like a Hail Mary to keep the relationship than an actual proposal. I told him we should see how this all works out first."
7. "He was a serial marrier. He'd been married twice (we were in our early 30s) and divorced twice. After we split up he got married for the third time a few years later."
8. "It was out of nowhere, with sex being the motivation behind the proposal."
9. "His proposal was literally, 'We'll get married, you'll drop out of uni and quit your job and we'll have kids'. I wasn't as adamantly sure I don't want kids back then, but burning my career to the ground was and is a hell to the no."