Winter is here. I know this because the days are shorter, my need for a scarf has increased 10 fold, I seem to be wanting my TIFFXO Superfoods Hot Chocolate more than normal, my nose feels endlessly sniffly and sometimes even just leaving the house can feel like a (chilly) chore. Guess what! The rainy days outside are no longer an excuse to not get your shine on, my TIFFXO workouts means anywhere is a Dojang (that’s Korean for gym!). Even better idea? Rope in a fellow Ninja, colleague or family member and get happyfit together. It’s time to get out of hibernation mode and get ready to shine.
Now this full body workout can be done in your warm and cosy living room.
Complete 20 reps of each exercise and see how many rounds you can do in 20 minutes.
High knees, with boxing oblique twists
Twisting through the trunk helps to slim the waist and work the core and obliques so you achieve beautiful curves through the midsection, while high knees make this move cardio – so you strengthen your abs whilst burning belly fat. Win, win!
- Start with your hands in a guard position snug under your chin, elbows pointing to your hips and your forearms facing the front, run on the spot lifting your knees up high to your belly button.
- Now, add in upper body twists side to side so your elbow meets the opposite knee.
- Remember: knees high, hips forward and most importantly, pull the belly button into your spine to switch on your core. Now lift those knees soldier, high like your heart rate!
Plank butt kicks
This move not only builds strength through the core, but by adding the butt kicks you’re getting a hit of cardio. You can see why this is one of my faves.
- Start in a planking position on your forearms and elbows, butt down and hips up.
- Your body should form a straight line from shoulders to ankles like, well, a plank.
- Engage your core by sucking your belly button into your spine. If you’re on struggle street, don’t drop your hips or arch your back, simply push your butt up to the sky.
- Hold and add the special ingredient: butt kicks! One leg at a time, bring your foot up to your butt, kick it, then lower your foot back to the ground. Alternate legs, go as fast as you can, but don’t lose that planking form!
My Tiff-ified version of squats - more fun and more burn! If you have bad knees or ankles don’t extend the leg in the flicking kick motion, simply pick up your knee and crunch it in towards your chest. You still work the derriere without putting pressure on your knees.
- Feet hip width apart, sink down into a squat - push your bum back so your knees are in line with your toes as if sitting on a chair.
- As you rise from the low squat, do a front kick, leading with the ball of your foot and pushing with your hips. Optional but highly recommended: Yell, “haiya!”
- Place your foot back down into the squat position and repeat (other leg this time!).
Curtsy squats with hands in prayer position, to mareup chigi (side knee strike)
This one’s an awesome low impact exercise that uses all the muscles in the body. Shrink the waist, work the legs, tone the arms, and target the abs with what’s essentially a standing sit-up.
- Start standing up straight, arms in prayer position (namaste).
- Step one leg behind you on the diagonal and sink down into a curtsy keeping your hands in prayer position so there’s tension in your arms.
- Keep your hips and feet facing the front as you lunge then pick up your back foot as you return to standing position, and crunch your knee up towards your armpit. You should feel your side obliques flex.
Upper cuts non-stop
No pauses! Keep your core tight, your chin protected, your elbows tucked in, and stay as light on your feet as you can. Get down low, and go go go!
- One foot forward, your body facing the front, get your guard up (don’t let it drop!).
- Alternating arms, perform continual upper cuts - tuck your elbows into your body and drive your fists up through head height.
RELATED: How To Silence Your Inner Quitter