This article was written by Allison Young and provided by our partners at Prevention.
"Small steps are the key to changing your eating habits," says Lippert. "If you do something that's extreme, it's tough to feel motivated to keep doing it." And there's plenty of research to back it up, with studies showing that those who make small diet changes lose more weight and are more likely to keep it off than those on traditional diets. "Everyone is different, but focusing on three to five specific goals allows you to hone and solidify them to ensure lasting habit change," adds Lippert.
1. If you cut out your daily soft drink habit, you'll lose 450g in a month. One 340ml can of soft drink has 140 calories and a whopping 39 grams (15 teaspoons) of sugar.
CALORIES SAVED IN A MONTH: 4,200 calories
2. If you replace a glass of orange juice with an orange, you'll lose a 225g a month. Swapping the juice for whole fruit saves you 48 calories per day.
CALORIES SAVED IN A MONTH: 1,440 calories
3. If you skip your weekly ice cream binge, you'll lose 450g in a month. Polishing off a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey is 1,200 calories a pop.
CALORIES SAVED IN A MONTH: 4,800 calories
4. If you cut back from two glasses of wine to one, you'll lose 450g in a month. You can still have your vino, just cap your Cab at one glass per day.
CALORIES SAVED IN A MONTH: 3,660 calories a month
6. If you go meatless for dinner on Monday, you'll lose a 225g in a month. Swapping your usual steak and potatoes for a hefty Grilled Vegetable Stack sandwich saves you 423 calories. (Try this Roasted Tomato & Chickpea Tagine.)
CALORIES SAVED IN A MONTH: 1,692 calories
7. If you skip the bread basket, you'll lose 225g in a month. Even just indulging once a week when you're out to dinner can add up (three breadsticks = 420 calories).
CALORIES SAVED IN A MONTH: 1,680 calories
8. If you downsize your salad dressing, you'll lose 450g in a month. Yes to a daily salad, just trim the olive oil from 2 tablespoons to 1 tablespoon and you'll cut 120 calories per day.
CALORIES SAVED IN A MONTH: 3,600 calories
9. If you don't get everything on your burrito, you'll lose 700g in a month. Adding sour cream, cheese, and guac adds an extra 1,230 calories per burrito.
CALORIES SAVED IN A MONTH: 4,920 calorie
Now 225g from one simple habit doesn't sound like much but if you choose 2 or 3 of these to focus on each month you are more than likely to see some big changes. Remember weight loss is a marathon not a sprint folks!