We’re all guilty of a cheeky squeeze every now and then, but this American woman’s experience might turn you off picking pimples for life.
Katie Wright was recently hospitalised after trying to pop what she thought was a blemish. It turned out to be a staph infection that threatened her vision and her life.
She shared her harrowing experience on Twitter with a warning for other women.
“A week ago I tried to pick at what I thought was a giant under the skin pimple because it had been hurting for a while and got too painful to ignore.”
“Within an hour my entire face swelled up and HURT. It felt like something was going to burst out of my skin.”
After picking at the infection that had affected deep cellular tissue, Katie had inadvertently risked spreading it to her brain. Fortunately she received treatment before any serious damage was done and has now fully healed.
Katie blames her eyebrow brush, which she says she hadn’t cleaned in a while.
“I never thought to disinfect my eyebrow spooly. If you wear makeup PLEASE make that a step in your cleaning routine!!!! It’s a small thing to do to avoid a painful, expensive and traumatising infection on your face.”