Amongst the incredible actors that attended (virtually, of course) - Jane Fonda, Rosamund Pike and Salma Hayek, to name a few - were a gallery of seriously impeccable hair and make-up looks, ready for us mere mortals to replicate.
But it was Amanda Seyfried—nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Marion Davies in the film Mank—who seriously stood out, proving that being in the house doesn't mean there needs to be a decline in glamour.
With the help of her trusted hairstylist and FEKKAI Artistic Director, Renato Campora, Seyfried paid homage to old Hollywood, this time off screen (and on the digital red carpet), with soft, 1940s-inspired waves.
“I was inspired by Amanda’s beautiful Oscar de la Renta gown,” Campora tells Vogue, “so I wanted a romantic and iconic style to complement her whole look.” To achieve it, Campora started off with FEKKAI Brilliant Gloss Perfecting Crème on Seyfried's damp hair. Then, he applied a spritz of Kenra Nitro Memory Crème at the root for lift and protection before blowdrying with a round brush. Campora swooped the hair into a side part and curled lengths with a 1.5-inch curling iron, then pinned each curl while they cooled down. After removing the pins, he brushed out the hair (while Seyfried snacked on a few Girl Scout Samoa cookies) to get the softened look and finished off with FEKKAI Full Blown Volume Texturing Spray “for added texture and volume," as well as a spray of Kenra Artformation Hairspray to ensure the look would last.
Speaking to Elle, Campora shared his tips for achieving the look yourself:
- Keep things soft and smooth
'This year's style is much more natural and modern,' says Campora. 'I use a barrel tong to curl and set the hair, then brush it out to loosen the curl. That way it stays full and voluminous but also fresh and natural. Avoid using too much hairspray to set the hair - you want it to look lifted but not rigid.'
TOP TIP: Keep one side of your hair in front of your shoulders, and one behind to help frame your face.
- Keep accessories to a minimum
'I actually prefer not to add too many accessories,' advises Campora. 'A few clips can look nice, but then it can quickly become very retro and outdated. My motto with accessories is less is more. I love luxurious, shiny hair that speaks for itself.'
Follow this steps for the ultimate wavy-hair look:
1. Apply a volumiser with heat protectant on damp hair.2. Create a side parting (and blow dry the hair with a round brush section by section.
3. Once the hair is dry and smooth, use a 1 inch or 1.25 inch curling iron.
4. Once all of the hair is curled, pin and leave to cool for 10 minutes before brushing the hair from the nape of the neck underneath to the ends of the strands. For the top of the hair you want to start at the ends and work your way up towards the crown, brushing downwards in small sections.
5. To finish, add a light mist of hairspray to keep the hair smooth and shiny.