Whether you’re still working from home or have returned to...
Mini trampolines are having a moment in the fitness world. Eva Longoria is a huge fan of...
By Troy Da Costa. Photography: DAnielle Daly; steve smith; getty images/iStockphoto; shutterstock;...
Image: Instagram/ @hotdotlena by @ladyist. With the colder months fastly approaching it is likely...
The Core Workout Behind Hailey Baldwin’s Insanely Ripped Abs
In case 2019 kicking off wasn’t inspo enough to embark on a new fitness regime, consider this it:
Yup, that’s Bieber’s girl Hailey Baldwin. She’s fit. Like, ridiculously fit. And lucky for all those who (like us) have been lacking motivation recently, we’ve been privy to the workout responsible for those cheese grater abs.
It all started with an Insta vid posted by Kirk Myers, the CEO, owner and founder of NY gym Dogpound (a fave amongst big name celebs). In it, the 22-year-old and fellow model Camila Morrone demo a single-leg balance to a single-leg deadlift to a weighted walking lunge combo. AKA, a multi-part move that involves strength, balance, stability and cardio.
Here’s said clip:
As mentioned, the move offers heaps of benefits coz it works heaps of body parts (including but not limited to the hamstrings, quads, glutes, core, hip flexors, calves and stabilising tendons around the ankles and knees.)
“Every major muscle in your leg gets used when you put [these moves] together,” Brooklyn-based PT Maryam Zadeh, told SELF. “This is hard.” And the fact that that the deadlift is performed with the strength of just one leg versus two (as you would with a regular deadlift) makes this an “above intermediate” level workout.
“It challenges your balance as well, which forces you to activate (and will strengthen) your core,” Myers added via email. Plus, it’s great low-impact cardio. “It also gets your heart rate up, so it’s good for working up a sweat.”
Feeling game? Find yourself a kettlebell and follow these steps. (Hint: try each component separately before putting them together in a combo.) The key is to focus on good form, not speed, FYI.
- Standing with your feet hip-distance apart, shoulders back, chest up and core engaged, hold your kettlebell firmly with both hands at chest height.
- Pressing down through the heel of your left foot, lift your right leg off the ground. Bend your knee and drive it up toward your chest.
- Next, lower your right leg down and then extend it behind you as you hinge forward from the hips (without letting it touch the ground.) Bend forward to lower the weight toward the floor while keeping your weight in the heel of your left foot and your back straight.
- Lower your torso until you feel a stretch in your hamstrings.
- Pause for a moment, then lift yourself back up, driving your right leg up toward your chest into another single-leg balance.
- From there, step forward with your right foot and bend both knees to lower yourself into a lunge. Hold the weight firmly with both hands under your chin, keeping your elbows tight against your body, your shoulders loose and abs engaged.
- Pause at the bottom of the lunge and transfer the weight to your left hand. Weave the weight around your right leg, starting from the inside of your right leg and transferring the weight to your right hand as you bring it up and over.
- Once you’ve done this, grip the weight firmly with both hands and press through both heels to push yourself up, lifting your left foot off the ground to perform a single-leg balance.
- Repeat the sequence again, this time with your left leg leading.
- Continue the sequence, alternating which leg leads, for 1 minute. Then, rest for 30 seconds.
Recommended to you
Brought to you by On a mission to make sure you look as confident as you feel for whatever life...
As anyone who has experienced breakouts, acne or bad skin knows, skin problems go far beyond...
Sure, they’re not the sexiest topic in nutrition (unless you’re partial to an eggplant or peach...
BY SARAH FELBIN - Rebel Wilson, 41, just opened up about her weight loss journey in a new...
By Saskia Quirke; Hannah Mendelsohn; Yanar Alkayat; Kara Byers. Much like HIIT on a...
Through a two-year trial, Australia will introduce a one-off payment of up to $5,000 for women and children who are escaping domestic violence.
With its incredible cast and gripping story, Maid presents a single mum battling to break free from poverty, while also depicting the consequences of emotional abuse.
In an effort to draw ‘flames of controversy away from vulnerable women,’ Thurman has penned an emotional essay detailing her own personal experience with abortion.
“Write the tale that scares you.”
The Aussie athlete joined the celebrity recruits of SAS just six months after giving birth and an accidental slip-up on last night’s episode was all too relatable for mums watching at home.
Thanks to Mary’s House fundraising event in October, ‘The Walk'. - by Nikolina Ilic
What better reason to satisfy those cravings! - by Nikolina Ilic
The two-day National Women’s Safety Summit began virtually on Monday but after an address from Prime Minister Scott Morrison, it’s clear the government still doesn’t understand the significance of such issues.