An Australian woman has spoken out about the little-known effects of popular cosmetic procedure.
Amanda Coats underwent microblading, a semi-permanent tattoo treatment – also known as eyebrow “feathering” - that involves making small cuts into the skin that are then injected with ink.
But instead of the fuller looking brows she was after, Amanda quickly realised she’d developed a serious infection that caused her skin to shed.
“I went to get my eyebrows feather tattooed to enhance them,” she explained on Facebook.
“I ended up with a severe infection from the clinic and the skin was just falling away and my eyes blew up.”
Amanda claims that the specialist who tended to her was distracted and failed to adhere to proper hygiene standards.
“The lady who did it… was very rushed, going in and out of the room attending to other clients during my procedure and also doing another eyebrow tattoo at the same time, she did not put new gloves on each time which does not keep things sterile."
But in a further blow, when she called to complain about her symptoms, she was dismissed by the clinic.
“I messaged and called (the specialist) to tell her straight away something was wrong only to be ignored. I asked to come and show her and she ignored it,” she said.
“I told her patches of skin had come away along with the colour, that I had puss and my eyes are weeping.”
Amanda’s doctor prescribed her with steroid treatment and a dose of antibiotics, but it’s likely the ordeal will leave permanent scars. She’s also suffered from migraines and experienced loss of feeling in her brows.
During a recent episode of US medical TV show The Doctors, dermatologist Sonia Batra weighed in on what she believed went wrong.
“I think she had two problems. One is that when you create nicks in the skin it's a great gateway for bacteria... she could have got an infection from this.”
“Obviously this not what anyone goes in wanting to get done.”
Let this be a lesson considering this procedure: Do. Your. Research.