Amy Schumer has been hospitalised with an unfortunate case of food poisoning during a romantic vacation with her boyfriend in Paris.
The 35-year-old comedian took to instagram to share the ordeal with her fans, and its good to see it didn’t damper her sense of humour.
"Thanks for everything Paris! Except the food poisoning," she wrote alongside a pic of her and her beau, Ben Hanisch, who also appeared to be ill."
It is estimated that 4.1 million Australians get food poisoning each year. That is almost one quarter of us – here is everything you need to know and how to avoid it!
Food poisoning, although common, often can be prevented easily. An estimated 85% of food-poisoning incidents can be prevented by handling and preparing food properly. Usually, symptoms subside within a day or two. However, in some cases, food poisoning is quite dangerous.
Symptoms of food poisoning include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- General weakness
- Abdominal pain/cramping
Information about the length of time between eating the food and the beginning of symptoms can help in diagnosing the problem:
- Less than six hours suggests that the infection was caused by a type of bacterium that creates a toxin in the food before it was eaten (such as staphylococcus)
- Twelve hours or more suggests the infection was caused by a type of bacterium that makes a toxin after the food is eaten (such as certain types of E. coli), or a bacterium, virus or parasite that can damage the cells lining the intestine (such as salmonella)
Expected Duration – In general, food poisoning goes away in one to three days, although some types of food poisoning may last much longer.
To prevent food poisoning, select safe foods. Take the following steps:
- Examine foods carefully. Buy foods before their expiration date, make certain that cans of food are not dented or bulging, and make sure that jars of food are sealed tightly.
- Be particularly cautious when buying shellfish, dairy products and eggs.
- Buy foods only from reliable sources. Avoid street vendors and roadside markets.
- Avoid foods that contain raw eggs, such as mayonnaise.
- Do not eat mushrooms, including wild ones, unless sold by a reliable source.